Solmar Foundation and Solmar Group Provide a Hurricane Odile Update
The Solmar Foundation and the Solmar Group are taking the time to inform members and guests about the efforts being made to return Cabo to normal.
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico – Hurricane Odile, a category 4 hurricane struck Cabo San Lucas on the evening of September 14, causing major damage to hotels, homes, and the infrastructure of Baja. The Solmar Group and the Solmar Foundation has been working tirelessly since the hurricane struck, in order to provide housing for Solmar employees who lost their homes and all of their possessions. In addition the Solmar Foundation and Solmar Hotels are assisting in the clean up effort of the city by removing debris, cleaning streets, and most importantly assisting those in need to expedite the recovery effort. The goal of Solmar is to get the destination of Los Cabos up and running again, to welcome visitors from around the world to enjoy Cabo during the high season, which begins November 1st.
The Solmar Foundation and Solmar Group is sharing this information with all of our Solmar owners and anyone else wishing to donate to the Solmar Foundation which is doing incredible work during these most difficult times. These updates will serve to inform travelers about Cabo’s current conditions in order to reassure concerned members that Cabo is and has recovered from one of the most devastating hurricanes to ever hit the Baja. Cabo is clean, safe, secure, restaurants are open, hotels are providing all services, the beaches are clean, activities have resumed operation, and once again Cabo is the best place in the world for a relaxing vacation.
The Solmar group, within hours of the hurricane passing provided 100 rooms to those employees who had literally lost all of their possessions. It should be noted that of the 1,800 Solmar employees, that make up the Solmar Group, approximately 20 percent lost everything that they had, and the remaining 80 percent suffered major damage to their homes.
Once the storm passed, it was now time to assess the damage. With so many homes in the community destroyed and thousands of people without food, water, or power, the Solmar Group and Solmar Foundation took it upon themselves to provide food and water to Solmar Group employees and their families. This was done with the purchase of 1500 boxes of food to be distributed amongst the staff members.
In addition, the Solmar Group and the Solmar Foundation continue to send trucks filled with water to those in the community who are in dire need of this precious resource. The lost and found items from the Solmar hotels, which remained unclaimed, such as clothing items, have been distributed to employees as well as to members of the community who are in need of these basic items.
In the aftermath of Odile, a large percentage of the donations that have been raised through the Solmar Foundation will go to the employees of the Solmar Group to assist them in their efforts to rebuild their homes and lives. Donations will also be given to the greater Los Cabos community in order to assist them in the recovery efforts throughout the area.
“Getting our employees back on their feet and our hotel operating again, is the best way we can serve the community right now, “ States Dinorah De Haro, Director of the Solmar Foundation. “We can regain the ability to get the Foundation back to donating full efforts and resources exclusively to the community as soon as possible; that is our ultimate goal.”
The Solmar Group and Solmar Foundation would like to remind members that its employees are part of the Los Cabos Community and in need of assistance. The Solmar Foundation’s priority is and has always been to assist those members of the Los Cabos community who are in need of basic items to sustain a comfortable life. These same persons who make up the the Los Cabos Community are the persons who provide us all with wonderful service. It is now time to show our support for those who have lost everything, we can help by donating and making their lives a little easier during this challenging time.
The Solmar Foundation and the Solmar Group want to thank everyone who donates, please remember that no donation is too small and every donation makes a difference!